Monday, June 28, 2010

Oven Fries

I found this recipe from my friend's cooking blog. I looove this recipe because I love french fries (don't most people?) but I hate buying them and eating so much grease and junk. These are a great alternative!

(I'm posting her recipe, with a couple of my modifications.)

3 russet potatoes (8 oz each), peeled, each potato cut lengthwise into 10-12 evenly sized wedges (I always cut more than 3 potatoes. We really like to eat in my house! :) And I never worry too much about getting them the same size.)
5 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil (don’t substitute olive oil)
Salt and ground black pepper

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat to 475. Place potatoes in large bowl and cover with hot tap water; soak 10 minutes. (Don't be tempted to skip soaking, as this is what will give you the crisp crust and soft innards.) (I usually soak them longer, like 20 minutes, and find them to be even softer this way.) Meanwhile, coat 18 x 12 heavy-duty baking sheet with 4 T oil and sprinkle evening with ¾ t. salt and ¼ t. pepper.

Drain potatoes and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. Toss potatoes in dry bowl with 1 T oil. Arrange potatoes in single layer on baking sheet, cover tightly with foil (I just use a cookie sheet) and bake 5 minutes.

Remove foil and continue to bake until bottoms of potatoes are spotty golden brown (15-20 min), rotating the pan in the oven after 10 minutes. Using metal spatula and tongs, flip potatoes to other side, keeping in single layer. Continue baking another 5-15 minutes until fries are golden and crisp, rotating pan as needed for even browning.



Yum yum!

No comments: