Friday, August 29, 2008

Cookie Cake


My mom used to buy these giant cookie pans and make really big cookie cakes for people. I stick to the 9 inch but I think it's a fun idea. I have had a few failed attempts with making these, but I'm getting better with practice so I thought i'd share some tips.

1. Make up your favorite cookie dough.

2. Take a 9 inch (well, whatever size really) circular pan or pie dish and spray generously with cooking spray. Wax paper might work; i haven't tried it.

3. Press cookie dough in the bottom of the pan. I try to make it kind of a thin layer so that it cooks faster and more evenly.

4. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. Check on it and give it more time if needed.

5. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Loosen up the sides of the cookie with a knife, then invert onto a plate, then invert again onto desired serving dish. As you can see in my picture, I lost one side of my cookie while transferring, so be careful. Sometimes I make them in those aluminum foil pans so that I don't have to transfer it at all.

6. Once cool, decorate with frosting. Usually I just buy the frosting ready-made, but today I halved this recipe:

Cake Decorators Frosting
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 t. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
4 c. powdered sugar
3 T milk

Mix with beaters and add food coloring as desired.

No comments: