This rice is easy to make in a rice cooker and has a wonderful fragrance. I love to smell it cooking. It goes great with any Indian recipes that are served over rice. I always double this recipe because my family loves it so much.
3 c. basmati rice (you can use brown basmati rice, too)
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. whole cumin seeds
4 whole cloves
4 whole cardamom pods
2 inch cinnamon stick, broken into a few pieces
5 c. water or the right amount for your rice cooker
1. Wash rice and leave to soak in fresh water for 20 minutes or longer. Drain.
2. In a heavy saucepan, on medium heat, saute the onion in the oil until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and stir well.
4. Add the salt, cumin, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks. Fry well for 1 minute.
5. Add the rice and stir until the water evaporates (about 10 minutes)
6. If you're using a rice cooker, transfer the rice and spices to the rice cooker. Add the water and cook until absorbed. Water amounts may vary if you're cooking the rice on the stove top depending on the type of rice. Use the amount of water called for in the package directions.
7. Remove the whole spices before serving.